This premises and website is operated by Five Star Autocentre.
- The personal information we collect about you;
- What we do with your information, and
- Who your information might be shared with.
Who we are.
Five Star Autocentre are a ‘data controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, (i.e. we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information).
What information we collect?
Personal information provided by you
We collect the following personal information about you when you register with us, express an interest in or purchase products or services from us. We also collect personal information when you contact us, send us feedback, post material to our website, complete customer surveys or participate in competitions.
Personal information provided by third parties.
Occasionally we may receive information about you from other sources (such as credit reference agencies, DVLA), which we will add to the information we already hold about you in order to help us provide products and services, improve and personalise our service to you. We will always seek your permission to contact these people for your information.
The information we collect may include:
- Basic personal details such as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth or age, gender, marital status;
- Additional information regarding your vehicle including the registration, VIN number, service history, any works undertaken, insurance policy details, MOT and Tax status of the vehicle;
Personal information about other individuals.
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- Give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
- Receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
- Give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
Monitoring and recording communications
We may monitor and record communications with you such as telephone conversations and emails for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance.
For example, we may monitor how many times you visit the website, which pages you go to, traffic data, location data and the originating domain name of a user’s internet service provider. This information helps us to build a profile of our users. Some of this data will be aggregated or statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the websites below tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, some of our website features may not function as a result.
For further information on cookies generally visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
How will we use the information about you?
We will never sell your data to third party companies. We collect information about you so that we can:
- 1. Identify you and manage any accounts you hold with us;
- Process your order;
- Maintaining a service record for your vehicle, conduct research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- Carry out customer profiling and analyse your purchasing preferences;
- If you agree, let you know about other products or services that may be of interest to you—see ‘Marketing’ section below;
- Detect and prevent fraud;
- Verifying your identity and carry out anti-fraud checks (see ‘Credit checking’ section below),
- Providing you with payment options,
- Assessing your application for a product, service or quote,
- Ensuring that you can afford any financial agreement offered,
- Ensuring that any insurance products are suitable for you,
- Administer your any finance agreements including updating you on and delivering our services,
- Monitor your use of our Websites and any response to advertising campaigns.
We may also offer enhanced services including MOT and service reminders where we believe this would be helpful or of interest.
Where your vehicle manufacturer maintains an electronic service record of your vehicle we may share details of any work with your manufacturer so that an accurate record can be kept.
We would like to send you information by post, email, telephone, text message (SMS) or automated call about motor related services, competitions and special offers, which may be of interest to you.
We will only ask whether you would like us to send you marketing messages when you tick the relevant boxes when you visit us and give us explicit and free consent to do so on this form.
If you have consented to receive such marketing from us, you can opt out at any time. See ‘What rights do you have?’ below for further information.
If we offer you finance for your motoring we may do a credit check on you:
- 1. So that we can make credit decisions about you and members of your household, and
- To prevent and detect fraud and money laundering
- Our search will be recorded on the files of the credit reference agency.
We may also disclose information about how you conduct your account to credit reference agencies and your information may be linked to records relating to other people living at the same address with whom you are financially linked.
Other credit businesses may use your information to:
- make credit decisions about you and the people with whom you are financially associated;
- Trace debtors, and
- Prevent and detect fraud and money laundering.
If you provide false or inaccurate information to us and we suspect fraud, we will record this.
If you want to see your credit file, please contact the credit reference agency, which we may use. Please ask for their details.
Who your information might be shared with
We may disclose your personal data to:
- Other companies linked to us;
- Our agents and service providers;
- Credit reference agents—see ‘Credit checking’ below;
- Law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity;
- Our business partners in accordance with the ‘Marketing and opting out’ section above.
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- Access to your account is controlled by a password and user name that are unique to you;
- We store your personal data on secure servers; and
- Payment details are encrypted using SSL technology (typically you will see a lock icon or green address bar (or both) in your browser when we use this technology).
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet. If you have any particular concerns about your information, please contact us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below).
What rights do you have?
Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or it, please:
- Email, call or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below);
- Let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
- Let us know the information you want a copy of, including any account or reference numbers, if you have them
We may charge a small fee £10.00 for this service.
Right to correct any mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do this, please:
- Email, call or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below);
- Let us have enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, user name, registration details), and
- Let us know the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
You can ask us to stop contacting you for direct marketing purposes. If you would like to do this, please:
- Email, call or write to us (see ‘How can you contact us?’ below).
- Let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving
- licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and Let us know what method of contact you are not happy with if you are unhappy with certain ways of contacting you only (for example, you may be happy for us to contact you by email but not by telephone).
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us, please send an email to email@example.com or write to us at Five Star Autocentre, The Triangle, Allen Row, Paddock, Huddersfield, HD1 4RN or call us on 01484 545422.
Do you need extra help?
If you would like this policy in another format (for example: audio, large print, braille) please contact us see ‘How can you contact us?’